Sunday, February 24, 2013

Crossed Wires

Grab this related post Widget!
Yesterday morning my cell phone rang. I didn't recognize the number of the caller.

"Hello?"

"Yes, this is Joyce. I was wondering if you'll available next Friday morning. I'm moving Bill to an assisted living facility outside of Cuenca. I need help breaking down the bed and taking it there, and then another bed needs to be brought back here. I'm willing to pay $100."

"Um, the $100 sounds good, but who is this again?"

Pause.

"Is this Oscar?"

"No, this is Edd. I don't know Oscar, and I don't believe I know you either."

"Oh, sorry. Cancel the call."

Later in the afternoon I went to the home of some good friends for dinner. I knocked on the door, and when it opened, Trish greeted me with a big smile.

And at the same time seemed to be shooting me a bird with her middle finger.

I was confused with these mixed signals and commented on her odd welcome. It turned out she had moments before cut her finger and was holding it up to stop the bleeding.

So in the same day a stranger treated me like a friend, and a friend treated me like a stranger.

2 comments:

Jacques said...

Hi,
Cuenca looks like a great place but I'm wondering about the weather.For the last 3-4 weeks I've been checking the forecast and it always says rain.It's not even ambiguous.
it says 90-100%.
Is this only for a few weeks of the year?
Thanks,
Jack Obadia?
vidtrans@gmail.com

Edd Staton said...

Hola, Jack. It's my understanding that if you check those forecasts for the next 3-4 MONTHS you'll see the same forecast. No one who lives here bothers with weather reports because conditions often change multiple times per day.

This is towards the end of the "rainy season," but we definitely haven't had rain every day. And when it does rain it's normally in the form of short showers instead of steady deluges.

I'd advise eliminating that report from your research.