Friday, May 21, 2010

The Rooster Here Goes "Cock-a doodle-BOOM!"

Grab this related post Widget!
BOOM!!  BOOM!!  What the hell??  It's Tuesday, our first morning here.  I remember looking at my watch.  7 AM.  Then I'm back fast asleep and forget about it.

Wednesday.  BOOM!!  BOOM!!  God Almighty.  I pick up my watch from the nightstand.  7AM.  I drift off.  BOOM!!  BOOM!!  BOOM!!  Jeez.  7:15.  Nod off.  BOOM!!  BOOM!!  Must be the water pipes in this old hotel responding to the day's 1st shower or something.  Either that or we're near the town firing squad.  The day starts and the memory fades.

Thursday.  Yep.  More booms.  Even more than the other days.  At breakfast I finally ask the owner here, "What is all that racket every morning?  It sounds like fireworks or something."

"It is fireworks."

"What???  Who's shooting off fireworks first thing in the morning?"

"The priests."

"Where?""

"At the big cathedral behind us a few blocks."

"Why??"

"They start every day this way to honor some saint or another."

"But in broad daylight?  You can't even see fireworks then.  Isn't that the point?"

"Not for these guys.  For them it's all about the noise."


"And this happens every day?"


"Si.  Wait till Friday.  It's All Saints Day."


(Sigh).  Guess we'll get an early start tomorrow.







No comments: